Monday, May 9, 2011

Bats Day 2011 in Anaheim was tremendous!


We had a VERY successful and fun weekend at Bats Day in the Fun Park, an annual event that takes place about a mile outside of Disneyland and is attended by lovers of the dark subculture (including goth, industrial, and steampunk). Although there were plenty of people walking around with sallow makeup and dusty black Victorian attire, there was nothing grim or depressing about the atmosphere or the people. Everyone was friendly and seemed very glad to be there.
The event was well organized and well attended; by 6 pm (an hour after Disneyland Park closed), there was hardly room to move around or air to breathe. Shoppers had the wares of over 50 vendors to choose from. The sellers offered goth and steampunk clothing, elegant antique-style jewelry, hats made with delicate little rodent skulls, colorful ribbon falls for Lolita hair, and many other fantastic wares, including our high-end tees with original "death art" designs. In the evening, the "Swinging Wake," named after the ghost-filled ballroom that's part of the Disneyland Haunted Mansion ride, had a great DJ and a dance floor with lots of hoop skirts and coattails enthusiastically swirling.
Even though I was recovering from a nasty cold, I was happy to endure my residual headache and shout myself hoarse over the crowd while talking to our gracious customers (part of my reason for shouting was not being able to hear with my fluid-filled right ear). I was even glad to survive sweating through my own heavy Victorian ballgown while taking down our booth at 10 pm. (I wanted to go to the Wake right after, so I changed into my costume before the Black Market wrapped up; that was a mistake, I guess). Hooray for Bats Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment